[fdutils] Need help with weird floppy issue

Donnie Barnes djbarnes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 00:13:07 CET 2006

Okay, this is an oddball one.

Anyway, I'm into classic arcade video games.  A small series of Sega games
used a floppy drive for their game code instead of ROMs.  I have one of
these games, and I believe my floppy disk itself has gone bad.  Problem is
that they used a strange format setup.  It's a standard 3.5" PC floppy drive
in the game and uses standard HD disks.

Supposedly, however, the disk format alternates 256/1024 bytes per sector.
I've even seen where the game I have uses 8K per sector.  Now, the image has
been read successfully off of a disk in a PC running windows and Anadisk.
But nobody so far has figured out how to *write* the image.  The games are
emulated in MAME, and thus the disk image exists in MAME ROM archives.  The
image for this game is 1925120 bytes in size.

So, is it even possible to write that image back to a floppy?  If so, how
would one tackle it?  I tried following the fdutils docs to create a special
disk device and then using setfdprm to set it to the closest mss type I
could find (1920/1440), but when I told it to dd to that device with a blank
floppy, it hung (well, it was cranking on the drive for 15 minutes, but
never completed and I couldn't kill -9 the dd process until I ejected the
floppy).

Any help would be appreciated.

--Donnie