[fdutils] Need help with weird floppy issue

Donnie Barnes djbarnes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 02:24:33 CET 2006

On 3/8/06, Simon Owen <snowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another possibility is to use multi-pass interrupted formatting.  I do
> something similar to write mixed-mode track patches to simulate 'weak'
> sectors for retro copy protections.  The first pass would lay sectors
> in the correct positions later on the track, with the start of the
> track holding the necessary dummy sectors to aid their positioning.
> One or more repeat passes would then complete writing of the earlier
> sectors, with the controller interrupted before it overwrites the
> later ones.
>
> It's a bit of a hack, but it can help work around the problem of
> needing fixed size/gap multiples for mixed-size formatting.  I see if
> I can work out a suitable layout that will do it - it's not critically
> tight so I'm reasonably hopeful.

Interesting.  I'll hold off on hardware hacking if you're planning on
looking into this further in the near-term.  I don't mind hardware hacking,
but I don't have any AM radios sitting around.  :-)

A CatWeasel would certainly have no problem at with this, but it'd be
> nice to have a solution available to people with only standard
> hardware.

Yeah, plus from the link that was sent it appears those aren't currently
available, either.

--Donnie