[Fdutils] R/W 8" drives, 128 byte sectors, aka CP/M disks?

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 14:33:57 CET 2011

Nick Papadonis wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Does anyone know if this has been completed or attempted?  Something similar
> to what DOS ImageDisk or 22DISK does?  I would like to interface my 8"
> floppy drives to a modern Linux box for imaging.

Are you talking hard-sectored 8" media or soft?

I don't think there's any magic involved in the latter, other than making a
suitable cable and providing power - the ability to handle 128 byte sectors
seems to be solely down to the FDC, with some better than others (many won't
touch 128 byte reads, let alone writes).

It's been a while since I've played with the Imagedisk source, but I don't
remember there being anything specific to handling 8" drives - maybe your best
approach is to boot Imagedisk from a floppy and get that going first; once
you're happy that the hardware's functional you can worry about the Linux side.

Aside: I did do some testing for Dave trying to get Imagedisk running in an
emulated DOS environment under Linux, but I seem to remember there was some
fundamental issue (DMA not working quite right, or interrupts not being passed
on). I never tried with a full VM environment, though (e.g. VMWare, Virtualbox
etc.)

cheers

Jules