[Fdutils] Reading an entire floppy

digitek digitek at charter.net
Sun Jun 17 16:35:23 CEST 2012

Hi,
I've been trying to create a floppy image of an old DOS game (Return of Werdna) and been using fdutils (fdrawcmd) to attempt the creation. I am using the commands below to read each track from the floppy and write out the
data to an image file.

The problem I'm having is that if I tell fdrawcmd the length to read is 4608 (9 sectors * 512 bytes), I get a full 720KB (737280 bytes) in my image file, however fdrawcmd tells me each read has "remaining=512".  If I use
length=4096, then I get "remaining=0" however my resulting image file is only 655360 bytes - a full 160 sectors shy of the entire disk.

It seems I'm missing an entire sector from each track and side of the disk. Any thoughts?  The output may be helpful, but too long to include here so put it on pastebin (http://pastebin.com/EZEV8YeY).

---------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
TRACKS=80
OUT=/tmp/img

for ((i=0; i < $TRACKS; i++)) do
   phead=0
   track=$i
   lcyl=$i
   rate=2
   lhead=0
   secnr=1
   secsize=2
   nrsect=0
   length=4096

    # first head
    fdrawcmd read $phead $lcyl $lhead $secnr $secsize $nrsect 0x1b 0xff length=$length rate=$rate need_seek track=$track >> $OUT

    # second head
    phead=4
    lhead=1
    fdrawcmd read $phead $lcyl $lhead $secnr $secsize $nrsect 0x1b 0xff length=$length rate=$rate need_seek track=$track >> $OUT

done

digitek at charter.net
key id: 0xF6FA6D1E